Beach Vacation Ideas
Watch the video to see the wide range of ocean activities San Luis Obispo has to offer.
With miles of pristine, white sandy beaches, piers, boardwalks, sea life, tide pools, surf spots, coves, sea caves, and more stretching the coastline (but none of the crowds or pollution of big-city beaches), sunny San Luis Obispo county is a dream California beach vacation destination for families, surfers, romantic travelers, honeymooners and more.
Downtown San Luis Obispo hotels’ beach vacation packages and last-minute weekend hotel deals make it easy to hop in the car and explore the nearby beachy paradises of the Central Coast of California, featuring such one-of-a-kind places as:
Beach Weekend Getaway – Family
Avila Beach is the perfect place to take the family during a beach vacation due to its warmer, mild waters, wind protected beaches, and picturesque seaside town featuring a boardwalk, piers, family restaurants like the Custom House and Fat Cats, shops and delis, a play ground, the interactive Avila Sea Life Center, and barking harbor seals and sea lions. During the summer, enjoy the lively Avila Beach Fish & Farmer's Market on Friday evenings.
Beach Weekend Getaway - Adventure
The beaches of San Luis Obispo provide an endless ocean of adventurous beach vacation ideas. Consider these options as you plan:
- Ride Waves – Popular surf spots include Montana de Oro, Sand Spit, Morro Rock, Pismo Pier, and Cayucos. Rent a board or load up on wax and locals’ tips at Shell Beach Surf Shop, Moondoggies, Wavelengths, or Central Coast Surf.
- Kayak through Caves – Central Coast Kayaks will lead the way to cool sea caves and private coves in Shell Beach. In Morro Bay, Sub-Sea Tours offers kayaks, canoes as well as stand-up paddleboards for exploring the wild-life-rich Morro Bay and harbor.
- Explore Dunes and Coves – Discover a beachy hideaway all your own by taking an ATV out in the Pismo Beach recreational vehicle area or setting out on foot to explore the dunes south of Pismo or the coves of Shell Beach.
Beach Weekend Getaway – Romantic
Looking for that enchanting, ocean setting in which to woo a new love or celebrate a honeymoon, anniversary or Valentine’s Day? Romance was made for the Central Coast where intimate ocean-view dining and sunset beach walks go hand-in-hand. Try these romantic beach ideas:
- Watch the sunset as you walk the long, sandy shore or pier in Pismo Beach before adjourning to ocean-view Sea Venture restaurant.
- Enjoy a day at the beach and embarcadero of Morro Bay, dine at aptly named Windows on the Water, then cap it off with a romantic moonlight kayak trip in the bay.
- Show her she’s a gem by looking for dazzling stones at Moonstone Beach in Cambria before enjoying a gourmet meal in nearby Cayucos at Hoppe’s Garden Bistro.