Find Hotels Near Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
Whether you’re a prospective student, alumnus or visitor of California Polytechnic State University, hotels near Cal Poly in San Luis Obispo’s exciting downtown area will make trips for campus tours, graduations, conferences and other events convenient and fun. Cal Poly hotels are perfect jumping-off points to the area’s other attractions, giving you a well-rounded vacation to go along with your visit to the university.
From hotels in San Luis Obispo near Cal Poly, you can easily explore all the area has to offer – from wildlife at San Luis Creek to Weird Al Yankovic’s old stomping grounds. If you’re considering attending the university, hotels near Cal Poly will give you a taste of living in San Luis Obispo.
- Visit the SLO History Center in the historic Carnegie Hall building to set off on a walking tour of the downtown’s historic buildings and sites.
- Stop by one of Frank Lloyd Wright’s few commercial buildings, on the corner of Santa Rosa and Pacific streets.
- Hearst Castle is a must-see site for any architect (or artist or sociology major or human)
- Hike the hills behind Cal Poly to witness Poly Canyon’s Design Village where architects test out their whimsical concepts in 3-D.
- Follow the footsteps of former architecture student and Cal Poly DJ Weird Al Yankovic by visiting the KCPR station and the bathroom where he famously recorded his song “My Bologna”.
- Take the Bob Jones Trail to Avila Beach to see the wildlife in and around San Luis Creek, the marine life at the Sea Life Center, and the wild seals basking in the sun under the Harford Pier.
- Day-trip out to Morro Bay to see giant Morro Rock (home of protected peregrine falcons) as well as the bay and estuary’s many inhabitants, and the Morro Bay Natural History Museum.
- Cross into Los Osos to walk through the Elfin Forest.
- Head north to San Simeon to witness the elephant seals up-close and in action.
- Visit in the winter to see Pismo Beach’s Monarch Grove a-flutter with butterflies.
- Stop by one of several Jamba Juices in the area to get a refreshing taste of sweet success; Jamba Juice was founded by Cal Poly business majors.
- Then, taste even sweeter success at Sweet Earth Organic Chocolate shop founded by a Cal Poly professor.
Agriculture & Viticulture Major
- Come to town on a Thursday to enjoy the lively Farmer’s Market, featuring local, seasonal fresh veggies, fruits, flowers, and other products.
- Tour Edna Valley wine country (for the 21+ crowd) and taste viticulture in action.
- Book a tour of Happy Acres Goat Farm or see the sows, cows, and more at the ag unit at Cal Poly.
- Cross the swinging suspension bridge spanning the Arroyo Grande Creek in the Village of Arroyo Grande.
- Civil engineers, take a ride on the Bill Roalman Bicycle Boulevard (Morro Street) which gives priority to bicycle traffic while a special signal (one of few in the USA) allows bicyclists their own green light.