Fall Harvest Wine Vacation Ideas
Just after summer vacation and before the hectic holiday season, some places in California have reason to celebrate a very special time of year: Harvest. In San Luis Obispo, CA—which is home to Paso Robles, Edna Valley and other viticulture areas—harvest is one-of-a-kind Bacchanalian holiday not to be missed.
Plan a San Luis Obispo, CA fall harvest wine vacation including wine and barrel tasting, winemaker dinners, blending seminars, grape stomping and other exciting harvest wine events in San Luis Obispo County’s world-class wine country during California Wine Month in September and throughout harvest season in October and November.
Watch the video to see SLO’s warm, beautiful wine country and unique shopping venues to stop at on your next vacation.
Download a printable wine country map of San Luis Obispo’s Edna Valley wine country to get the lay of the land. Then, plan your trip around one of many annual fall harvest wine events, or check individual winery websites for fall harvest events in San Luis Obispo and Paso Robles during the time of your visit.
- Taste of San Luis, San Luis Obispo
- Pallet to Palate, Shell Beach
- Savor the Central Coast, San Luis Obispo County
- Annual Wine and Roses Bike Race, Templeton
- Harvest Wine Weekend, Paso Robles
- CRAVE wine event, Paso Robles
“Savor” Fall Harvest Wine Vacation
Book your trip to San Luis Obispo during Savor the Central Coast, put on in partnership with Sunset Magazine on September 29- October 2, 2011:
- Enjoy tasting wine from over 200 wineries and food from over 30 local chefs
- Tour the two-acre kitchen garden and the 20,000 square-foot Central Coast Pavillion featuring guest chefs and editors from Sunset Magazine
- Attend Sunset’s Western Wine Awards
- Participate in seminars and local tours highlighting the bounty of San Luis Obispo’s local, sustainable fish, farm and wine industries, such as The Abalone Farm in Cayucos, Happy Acres Goat Farm in Templeton, and Dockside Fish Market in Morro Bay
Harvest Celebration Weekend Getaway
Kick off harvest season with San Luis Obispo Vintners during their annual Harvest Celebration Weekend, November 4 - 5, 2011:
- Attend winemaker dinners at various wineries and venues
- Taste at the grand tasting celebration in Avila Beach
- Tour wine country during the open house tasting events at participating San Luis Obispo wineries
- When you’ve had your fill of wine, experience other harvest season treats:
- Pick apples at nearby orchards in See Canyon.
- Pick pumpkins at local pumpkin patches like the Avila Valley Barn, also home to delicious baked goods.
- Stroll the downtown farmer’s market where the scents of kettle corn and freshly baked pies fill the air.