Pet-Friendly & Accommodation Ideas
Backing up the natural abundance of dog-friendly outdoor activities, San Luis Obispo pet-friendly vacation travel ideas include prime pet hospitality such as dog-friendly hotels and accommodations, restaurants where dog or cat pets are allowed to dine with their masters, beaches that welcome dogs to frolic and play, and other events and attractions where your pets can join in the fun.
Pet-Friendly Beaches and Attractions
- El Chorro Regional Dog Park features a fenced-in “big dog” and “small dog” area, as well as hiking trails and a botanical garden.
- Laguna Lake Dog Park has space for Fido to fetch and roam, and a disc golf course, playground, hiking trails and lake views for humans to enjoy.
- Morro Strand Beach, a popular dog-friendly zone, and other dog-friendly beaches offer miles of open, sandy exploring.
- Bishop Peak and other local hikes where pets are allowed will set your dog’s nose on the trail to adventure.
- Thousand Hills Pet Resort offers dog daycare if you are gone or in meetings for the day, featuring oversized brightly painted dog houses, playgrounds and more.
Restaurants that Allow Pets
- Grab a delicious dinner at Novo, where pets are welcome to join owners on a beautiful outdoor patio overlooking the San Luis Creek
- Head to Shell Beach to enjoy the dynamic doggy-inclined neighborhood and get breakfast, lunch or dinner at pet-friendly Zorro’s Café, a Mexican eatery named after the owner’s dog, Zorro.
- Enjoy coffee at Sally Loo's Wholesome Café, named after the owners' adorable pit bull, with outdoor dining for your dog.
- Several wineries offer dog-friendly wine tasting, such as Edna Valley’s Wolff Vineyards, which pairs sustainable wines with excellent family-operated service, including the company of a jovial lab named Brixie, and Saucelito Canyon winery which also has wine dogs.
Shop with your Dog
- Get a fresh-baked dog treat or a new puppy t-shirt at dog and cat-friendly Tails Pet Boutique in downtown San Luis Obispo
- Lemos, a local chain of pet stores, offers treats, toys and more for your cats and dogs in San Luis Obispo and other surrounding cities.
San Luis Obispo Dog-Friendly events
- The 22nd Annual Wiggle Waggle Walk for Woods Humane Society – October
- Summer Concerts in the Plaza – Friday evenings, June - September