Sustainable Trip Itinerary Ideas
With prices at the pump pushing $4 per gallon and energy demands putting pressure on the environment, now is a great time to plan a sustainable trip to San Luis Obispo, CA.
Green getaway activities, eco-friendly vacation packages, environmental tours and organic food and wine provide the eco-escape earth-conscience travelers seek.
And San Luis Obispo’s SLO Car Free* discounts make it even easier on the environment and the wallet to have a green getaway. Skip the gas station and head to the train station for a convenient, adventure-packed car-free getaway featuring 20% discounts on Amtrak® tickets as well as discounts on other eco-friendly restaurants, sustainable vacation ideas and eco or environmental tours.
SLO Car-Free Itinerary
- Register for a free SLO Car-Free membership.
- Hop on an Amtrak train and enjoy an easy, worry-free ride on the Pacific Surfliner or San Joaquin line to San Luis Obispo.
- Bring or rent a bike and explore downtown San Luis Obispo attractions, taking advantage of convenient public bike paths such as the new, paved three-quarter-mile Madonna Inn Bike Path, the Bob Jones City-to-Sea trail, the Bill Roalman Bicycle Boulevard (Morro Street), or the Railroad Bicycle Trail.
- Continue out to wine country on your bike or by hotel shuttle to taste sustainable wines at Wolff, Talley, Chamisal and other green wineries. Don’t forget to pack a picnic of seasonal, fresh and organic produce from San Luis Obispo’s Farmer’s Market.
- See a movie at the nation’s original solar-powered movie theatre, the Palm Theater.
- Enjoy a 10% discount off a Central Coast Food Tour, including a step-by-step, bite-by-bite exploration of our beautiful and delicious San Luis Obispo.
- Eat at local restaurants serving fresh, organic and sustainable fare such as Big Sky Café.
- Shop eco-chic boutiques downtown like Bamboo Batu and the Hemp Shak.
- Take a Central Coast Outdoors tour of our sweeping miles of state parks and beaches with a 10% discount, including guided bike, hike and kayak tours of the area.
- Finish off a green getaway with truly guilt-free dessert from Sweet Earth Chocolates, home of locally-made organic and fair trade truffles and sweets.
*SLO Car Free is a cooperative partnership initiated and led by the San Luis Obispo County Air Pollution Control District. To receive discounts on train fares as well as on dining, lodging and other car-free activities in San Luis Obispo, CA, simply register for a free SLO Car-Free membership.