California Wine Country Vacation Ideas
Just halfway between San Francisco and Los Angeles, the Paso Robles and Edna Valley wineries boast world-class wine and scenic landscapes just a few miles from the Pacific Ocean. And San Luis Obispo’s charming downtown, which is at the center of all area wine attractions, offers California wine country cuisine and a hospitable community that will make you feel right at home.
A variety of annual SLO wine festivals and events – including winery tours, wine and barrel tastings, blending seminars and winemaker dinners – provide the perfect focal points for planning wine vacations throughout the year.
Watch the video to see warm, beautiful California wine country and unique places to shop when you visit San Luis Obispo.
Planning your trip to California wine country
First, take a look at the printable wine country map of San Luis Obispo’s Edna Valley wineries to get the lay of the land. Then, plan your California wine country tour around one of many annual events and California wine festivals. You can also check individual winery websites to find things to do in San Luis Obispo and Paso Robles during your visit. Local wine country shuttles are available for tours.
Annual California wine country festivals and events
- January - Esprit du Vin Wine Fest, Paso Robles
- January - Art & Wine Festival, Cambria
- March - World of Pinot Noir, Pismo Beach
- March - Zinfandel Festival, Paso Robles
- April - Earth Day Wine & Food Festival, San Luis Obispo
- April - Cal Poly Wine Festival, San Luis Obispo
- April - Hospice du Rhône Celebration, Paso Robles
- May - Roll out the Barrels Wine Festival, San Luis Obispo
- May - Wine Festival, Paso Robles
- June - Wine, Waves and Beyond, San Luis Obispo & Pismo Beach
- June - Wine Festival, Atascadero
- July -Central Coast Wine Classic, San Luis Obispo
- August - Winemaker Cook-off, Paso Robles
- September - California Wine Month
- September - Taste of San Luis, San Luis Obispo
- September - Pallet to Palate, Shell Beach
- September - Savor the Central Coast, San Luis Obispo County
- October - Harvest Wine Season
- October - Annual Wine and Roses Bike Race, Templeton
- October - Harvest Wine Weekend, Paso Robles
- October - CRAVE wine event, Paso Robles
- November - Harvest Wine Season
- November - Wine Festival, Cayucos
- November - Harvest Celebration Weekend, San Luis Obispo
Tour sustainable Edna Valley wineries on your bike
Grab your bike and helmet for a self-powered, self-led tour of sustainable Edna Valley wineries. Start at Claiborne & Churchill (the first sustainably constructed straw-bale winery). Pick up lunch from the deli at Old Edna to sustain you after your next tasting. Then, mosey over to Wolff Vineyards, which is known for its ecoconscious methods, and enjoy a picnic in the tasting garden. Finally, visit Talley Vineyards, where green viticulture practices have been in place for years, and soak up some solar power on the hillside grounds before heading back to San Luis Obispo.